Tuesday 20 May 2014

for some advice

So yesterday I had a bit of a rant and rave about things I would say to students if I really could.

Today I want to share some advice of sorts, that was given to me not so long ago that I would also love to give those same students..

One of the (few) positives in my job is helping students figure out what they want to do with their lives and help them work out how to get there.

So when the Defence Force sent out an invitation for me to take 2 female students interested in signing up to a High Tea, I was excited and knew would I would take straight away.

At the High Tea we had 3 key speakers, from completely different backgrounds with different links to the Defence Forces, who gave inspiring and thought provoking speeches and who excited the students even more about their chosen career path. Heck, they were so inspiring that for a brief (very brief) moment I thought I might actually be keen to sign up....then I remembered the whole potentially shooting people and going to war bizzo and quickly moved on from that thought.

One of the speakers really hit home for me and I found myself being just as inspired as the girls were. She talked to us about the three C's (and no it wasn't Chocolate, Champagne and Chardonnay which are three C's I often like the sound of!!!). What she was referring to was Choices, Chances and Change.
She talked about how each morning we wake up and we have a choice about how we are going to live our life, how we are going to behave that day, what we are going to do with it to make a difference. I have always been a strong believer, and have often preached, that we choose our attitude, that we may not always like what we have to do but we can choose how we do it.
She encouraged the girls to take chances, to say yes to things, to experience different things and get involved in as much as they could to broaden their knowledge, their horizons and their eyes!
 
The third C was change.... if you are not happy with what is happening make a change, you have the power to do it, you just need the strength and the courage.

It really was a message that struck a cord with me.

As we left we were given a pack of goodies which included this little book
If you follow my Instagram you would already know that ;-)
It is a goal setting book filled with fantastic quotes and activities that are designed to help work out where you want to be in 5 years. I feel this is something that, despite being in my mid 30's, I have never really sat down and thought about. I want to do this book and this process justice so since it was given to me I haven't done much more than just flick through it but I am keen to get started and see where it leads...

Stay tuned....

Linking up with Essentially Jess for IBOT!



No comments:

Post a Comment